In continuing my series of posts on errors, today’s error can occur when a user tries to create his or her SharePoint My Site for the first time. When you click the My Content link to create the site, you might see an error like the one below.
My Site: There has been an error creating the personal site. Contact your site administrator for more information.
Not sure of what the issue was at first, I decided to check the ULS logs and saw a variety of errors like the ones below.
Failed to activate site-collection-scoped features for template 'global' in site collection 'http://mysitehost/my/corey_roth'.
Failed to activate site features when provisioning site at url "http://mysitehost/my/corey_roth" with site definition "(null)".
Failed to apply global template to site "/my/corey_roth", error: 0x1ccda910
Cannot create site: http://mysitehost/my/corey_roth for owner "domain\corey.roth", Error: <nativehr>0x80070003</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>, 0x1ccda950
The answer really wasn’t apparent given those errors so I decided to go back and check all my settings. The My Site configuration settings were fine in my User Profile Service Application. I then took a look at the managed paths for the site collection. After examining further, I discovered that the managed path for /my had been set up with an explicit inclusion instead of a wildcard inclusion. Once I changed it to wildcard inclusion, I could create a My Site without issue.