FAST Search for SharePoint PowerShell Error: Failed to communicate with the WCF service

One day when I wasn’t thinking, I encountered the following error when trying to execute a FAST Search for SharePoint PowerShell command such as Get-FASTSearchContentCollection.

Get-FASTSearchContentCollection : Failed to communicate with the WCF service.
At line:1 char:32
+ Get-FASTSearchContentCollection <<<<
    + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (:) [Get-FASTSearchContentCollection], AdminException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : e107: Failed to communicate with the WCF service
   .,Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Extended.Administration.Commandlets.GetCollectionCommand

Searching on the Internet yields the following KB article.  However, this article did not resolve my issue.  In fact, the cause was actually a much simpler solution.  I realized I was running the PowerShell window with my personal account.  Obviously, this account does not have the required permissions needed inside FAST.  To correct the issue, I just did Run as Different User (hold down shift while right clicking on the icon), to run PowerShell with my fastuser account.  Once I did that, I could execute the commands I needed.

Comments

Dima said:

This one has solved the problem for me (after opening a ticket at MS support):

Create a new group on the FAST server named “FASTSearchKeywordAdministrators”.

Add the SP (the user running the OSearch14 service) & FAST admin to it.

June 22, 2011 9:07 AM

Eduardo Alvarez CERN said:

Just an addendum to this solution.

If you want to use another user to execute the cmdlets and you have checked the KB article and still is not working, be sure that the user is also included in the local group FASTSearchAdministrators.

July 15, 2011 2:17 AM

baskb said:

Tip: making changes to the FASTSearch group requires the user to logoff and login again. Otherwise the made changes are not effective.

July 18, 2011 7:39 AM

Jay said:

This worked great. Thanks!

October 20, 2011 11:42 AM

Glenn said:

Thanks :)

November 1, 2011 9:23 AM

Rao said:

Can anybody faced this issue?

I'm able to get all the "FASTSearchMetadataCrawledProperties" when I use "Get-FASTSearchMetadataCrawledProperties. But When I try to get a single crawled Property by using below command

$value1 = Get-FASTSearchMetadataCrawledProperties -Name ows_Name

then I'm getting "Failed to communicate with the WCF service".

Please help me on this.. Thanks in advance...

February 13, 2012 1:55 AM

Cem said:

Rao i ran into the same exact issue, but could not figure it out yet...what was the resolution for you ?

March 2, 2012 1:57 PM

Ken Stewart said:

Thank you Much...

March 7, 2012 3:34 PM

Mark said:

I am also seeing the same thing:

$value1 = Get-FASTSearchMetadataCrawledProperties -Name ows_Name

then I'm getting "Failed to communicate with the WCF service".

I created the new group as above and both ID's are SharePoint and FASTUser and same issue and yes I did log off :).

March 14, 2012 9:52 AM