When I was mapping some managed properties from one of my Content Sources using the BCS, I noticed that the crawled properties were named slightly different in SharePoint 2010. I thought this was worth a quick note, so here we are. In MOSS 2007, each crawled property was prefixed by the application definition name, followed by the entity name. Now (as of Beta 2) everything seems to be prefixed by Read ListElement. Here is what some of my properties look like.
Notice it actually shows a space now instead of x0020. The naming convention appears to be static here so unfortunately you don’t really have a way of telling what entity each item is coming from. This might be a good thing though. Since before, if you had a field with the same name in 10 different entities, you had to map each one to the managed property. The prefix appears to always be the same too (even if you change the name of the operation). Read List is the name of the operation used to iterate a BCS list now as you can see in SharePoint Designer.
The name can be changed in SPD, however it appears that the prefix never changes as far as crawled properties go. Anyhow, I just wanted to quickly share this change I noticed today. I’ll be posting more on the BCS and Search soon.